Rebecca Long Bailey responds to PWC’s high streets report
Rebecca Long Bailey MP, Labour’s Shadow Business Secretary, commenting on PWC’s high streets report, said:
“We need to stop the onslaught of store closures and job losses on the high street, but the Tories’ plan will merely tinker at the edges.
“Without long term structural support the future looks very bleak for our high streets and town centres.
“Labour’s five point plan, from our reform of businesses rates to our empty shops register, will rejuvenate the high street.”
Notes to editors
Labour’s 5 point plan to support Britain’s high streets:
- Ban ATM charges and stop bank branch and Post Office closures
- Improve local bus services and provide free bus travel for under 25s
- Deliver free public Wi-Fi in town centres
- Establish a register of landlords of empty shops in each local authority
- Introduce annual revaluations of business rates, ensure a fair appeals system and review the business rates system to bring it into the 21st century.
A cross departmental working group lead by Bill Esterson, shadow business minister has been convened to look into long term support for our high streets and town centres.