Tesco announces 4,500 job losses at Metro stores – Long Bailey responds
Rebecca Long Bailey MP, Labour’s Shadow Business Secretary, responding to Tesco’s announcement of 4,500 job losses, said:
“These job cuts add to the growing tally over the last 18 months. Hundreds of thousands of jobs and our communities rely on our high streets but the Tories are allowing them to be hollowed out.
“The government must urgently act to save Britain’s high streets and prevent even more jobs being lost.
“The next Labour government will deliver a five-point plan to save our shops and breathe life back into our towns.”
Notes to editors
Labour’s five-point plan to support Britain’s high streets:
- Ban ATM charges and stop bank branch and Post Office closures
- Improve local bus services and provide free bus travel for under-25s
- Deliver free public Wi-Fi in town centres
- Establish a register of landlords of empty shops in each local authority
- Introduce annual revaluations of business rates, ensure a fair appeals system and review the business rates system to bring it into the 21st