Get Britain building again
Labour has set out five national missions that we will build our manifesto around and, if elected, drive everything we do in government.
Labour will be focused on outcomes that matter: making sure people are better off, live in safe communities, and have the opportunities they need to succeed – wherever they live, and whatever their background.
These missions will only be achieved through relentless focus. They require government departments working together. Business working with unions. The private sector working with the public sector. And a common partnership between national and local government.
Each mission is built on the strong foundations of economic stability, national security, and secure borders.
Labour’s first mission in government will be to: Secure the highest sustained growth in the G7 – with good jobs and productivity growth in every part of the country making everyone, not just a few, better off.
Why is growing the economy important?
Increasing growth is the biggest economic challenge we face. We need growth so we can improve living standards and reduce poverty. And growth leads to the creation of more and better-paying jobs, and provides the tax revenues we need to fund strong public services.
The reverse is true too. Stronger public services lead to a healthy workforce with the skills they need to succeed. And better paid jobs mean that people can contribute more to their local economies, helping to support thriving high streets and build stronger, safer communities.
That is why Labour’s first mission in government will be to: Secure the highest sustained growth in the G7 – with good jobs and productivity growth in every part of the country making everyone, not just a few, better off.
What difference will this make?
- Your income growing faster than your outgoings, so you feel better off.
- More money to put aside for a rainy day, to help your loved ones and give you a better retirement.
- Vibrant high streets, with new businesses opening and well-loved existing businesses able to thrive.
- Jobs for you and your children in new and growing industries.
- Wherever you live, you and your children have the opportunities you need to get on in life.
- Every business, person and place has the chance to contribute to our national prosperity
- Access to jobs that pay enough to raise a family on, with more job security, so you have the confidence to plan your future.
- You are valued at work and have the chance to learn the skills you need to succeed.